This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
Microsoft Teams is a videoconferencing and collaboration service and successor of the well-known “Skype for Business”. Similar to Cisco Webex and Zoom, it is a cloud solution based in the USA, that we usually do not recommend. In the current situation, we would like to offer you another alternative to other tools that may not work due to overload.
To do this, you can create an account in the Microsoft-operated Azure Cloud via the GWDG Customer Portal, and then download the Teams Client and use the service. Please note that your name and email address will be transferred to Microsoft to use the service. Data that is generated when using teams is stored on Microsoft's servers. In order to use the service, please log in to the GWDG customer portal and accept the transfer of your data to Microsoft for use of Office 365/Teams in the Conference Services section. Please also note our information on data protection. The activation of your account in the Azure Cloud can take up to 30 minutes.
Activation for Teams
- log on to the customer portal.
- click on your own name > click my account
- Scroll down the Account Management page to the “Conference Services” section.
- In the “Conference Services” section, click the “Edit” link.
- Click on the “Activate Office 365 / Teams:” link. A dialogue concerning data protection and the information transferred to Microsoft appears. If this dialogue is confirmed, you have agreed to participate in “Office 365 / Teams”.
- After a good half hour to an hour after activation, the service can be used.
To work with Microsoft Teams, please click here and login in with the email address that you have enabled for teams in the Customer Portal, described in the previous section.
Click the “Join a team or create a team” button in the top right
Click on “Create A Team”
Select team type The Course type is a good and quick way to create some channels from the organizer with different content.
When the information we have entered team name and an optional description have been entered click on the “Next” button.
Here's an example of two teams with different content.
To add team members, click the 3 dots on the top right-hand tile and click Add Member in the context menu that opens.
Now find the appropriate participants in the so-called Microsoft Azure AD. Just start typing in the last name. When the person was found, click on the “Add” buttons. The invited person will then receive an e-mail with further information on how to enter the team room.
When you enter the room, you will immediately see the “General” channel. With a click next to the team name on the 3 points, a context menu opens and more channels can be added.
If all information for the new channel is entered by clicking on “Add” create the new channel.
Simply enter the text in the line. Use the return button or right outside with the paper flyer icon to set the message in the channel.
The message you set. As usual in any chat, the members or you can still answer it yourself.
Create video conference
By clicking on the camera icon (circled in red) a video conference can be called up quickly.
A small video image appears. There is still the possibility to enter a name for the video conference, but this is optional. By clicking on the “Discuss now” button, the video conference is activated.
After the participants have joined the video conference, participants can turn their audio devices on and off. See camera and microphone icon. Steuerleiste:
- Camera icon - Camera off or on
- Microphone Symol - Microphone off or on
- Up arrow - desktop or redirection sharing
- Balloon icon - Meeting chat
- Persons icon - Show participants of the chat along with Invite function
- Phone höhrer hang-up icon - leave video conference or end by the organizer
- Three-point icon - Additional adjustment options (described in more detail below)
The menu items of this context menu speak for themselves. I would like to highlight the point “Soften my background”. With this point, the background completely blurs, so that other people in the room are not involuntarily accepted.
In the overview of the participants, participants can also be specifically invited to participate in the conference. To do this, click on the three dots next to the person's name and click on “Request participation”.
When the video conference is left or finished, a call quality query appears. This can, must(!) but not be answered with the corresponding number of stars.
Note for Outlook users on Windows
For Outlook users on Windows, there is a second way to start a video conference with teams. In Outlook's Calendar view, there is a “New Teams Meeting” button after you install teams.
Here you proceed with the appointment in the usual way. You add to who should receive the invitation, correct the appointment if necessary and, if necessary, supplement the invitation with a cover letter. Invitees can then join the meeting by clicking on the link if the Teams software has been installed. The options within a video conference are described earlier.
Microsoft Team Clients
The Microsoft Teams Client can be downloaded at from here.
The client software is available for the following systems
- Windows 32 Bit
- Windows 64 Bit
- Linux DEB 64 Bit
- Linux RPM 64 Bit
All popular web browsers on the popular operating systems Windows, macOS and Linux.
For more information
- Video - Welcome to Microsoft Teams: https://support.office.com/de-de/article/video-willkommen-bei-microsoft-teams-b98d533f-118e-4bae-bf44-3df2470c2b12
- Download Quick Start Guide (PDF) to learn the basics: https://download.microsoft.com/download/D/9/F/D9FE8B9E-22F5-47BF-A1AB-09539C41FCD0/Teams%20QS.pdf
- Quick Start Guide - Sign in and get started with Microsoft Teams: https://support.office.com/de-de/article/anmelden-und-erste-schritte-mit-microsoft-teams-6723dc43-dbc0-46e6-af49-8a2d1c5cb937)
- End-user training for Microsoft Teams: https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/microsoftteams/enduser-training
- Teams addin for Outlook: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-add-in-for-outlook