Setup of a VPN Connection
You can find general information about VPN connections here
The GWDG strongly recommends using the Cisco AnyConnect VPN.
Due to the current load in VPN, two more servers were set up in addition to vpn.gwdg.de: vpn-b.gwdg.de and vpn-c.gwdg.de . We recommend using one of them. This is only possible with the AnyConnect method , not by using the 'included client'.
Please make sure to switch to vpn.gwdg.de once in a while since updates will not be delivered while using vpn-b.gwdg.de or vpn-c.gwdg.de.
Connection via Cisco AnyConnect
Should you encounter any issues during this process, please contact our support.
1. Connect to vpn.gwdg.de and use your credentials to log in. Your credentials are typically just your email address and the corresponding password.
Attention: Because of the current overload, it may not always be possible for you to connect to vpn.gwdg.de. You may alternatively download the client from our FTP server by using the following credentials: Username vpn; Passwort fernzugriff.
2. Click on AnyConnect within the navigation bar on the left.
3. Click on Start AnyConnect. If you do not have AnyConnect installed yet, you are asked to download the installation file. You may need to wait several seconds until the download starts.
4. Install AnyConnect from the file you have just downloaded. Please make sure that you are in possession of sufficient administration rights on your system or consult your system administrator.
5. Open the newly installed Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client to start the VPN.
6. Insert any gateway address (vpn-b.gwdg.de or vpn-c.gwdg.de or vpn.gwdg.de) and click on Connect.
7. Enter your credentials. These are usually your email address and the corresponding password.
8. Accept the terms and conditions for using the VPN.
You are now connected to the VPN.
If you want to start the VPN again, just start the client directly. It is not necessary to install the program again.
Due to the current load in VPN, two more servers were set up in addition to vpn.gwdg.de: vpn-b.gwdg.de and vpn-c.gwdg.de . We recommend using one of them.
The AnyConnect Client can also be downloaded from https://ftp.gwdg.de/anyconnect/
- Username: vpn
- Password: fernzugriff